Thursday, May 21, 2015

thursday recipe: oat & chia porridge with seeds


Pete and I came up with this porridge when we did our Dr Gruba cleanse recently (thank the cleansing Gods that's over).

The cleanse is over but porridge for breakfast continues on these cool Autumn mornings.

Not that we have to worry about cool Autumn mornings this week. We're in Byron Bay where the weather is humid! Sorry Victorian friends don't mean to rub it in. It is raining if that makes you feel better.

Long time readers know that the Northern Rivers Shire is a home away from home for me and my family. Pete and I have been escaping winter here since before River was born almost nine years ago.

Like so many who come to Byron Bay and surrounds , I fell instantly in love with its natural beauty, the light, and the cosmic souls who bring so much colour to the area. And we have dear friends here so there is always a sense of coming home when arrive here.

For now let's get back to the porridge that's lovable too, spiced with ground cinnamon and vanilla.
Served with coconut milk and if you like yoghurt and stewed fruit, breakfast like this is to me so luxurious I can't imagine that anyone who switched from processed food to wholefood would feel like they were missing out on something. I'm sorry there isn't a photo with this post, I have a beautiful shot of the porridge stuck on my camera, I'm yet to master blogging on the road! I'm working on it. I've just discovered posting on my phone! There's no stopping me now.

Oat & Chia porridge with seeds - serves 2

Ingredients

1/2 cup oats
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon pepitas
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground vanilla
1.5 cups water
Serve with
milk of choice
yoghurt
stewed fruit

(for those not eating grains you could try this combo with buckwheat or quinoa, cooking times and amount of water will vary)

To Make

Put all ingredients (except milk, yoghurt, stewed fruit) into a small pot and place on a low heat.
Stir occasionally until oats are soft about 10 minutes.
You may need to add more water as you go if it is looking too dry.
If you put it on a really low heat you will have time to go and have a quick shower while it's cooking!

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Love the look of this recipe, might be a change from our usual boring plain porridge. My daughter loves chia so I think this will be a welcoming change. We are currently on the look out to find somewhere to live in the Byron Hinterland has my hubby has just got a new job down there. I wont rub it in but I am excited to be moving that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Lizzie, great to find your site. Happy that my porridge recipe has inspired you, I hoep it gets your daughter's seal of approval :) The Byron Hinterland is a beautiful part of the world and it will always be second home to us, we are lucky to have the best of both worlds the Victorian coast and this one too. I will add your blog to my friday reading list.

      Delete
  2. I do a porridge very similar but soak it over night in milk (I have raw milk, but you could use some other sort of milk). Then it really only needs to be heated through, not cooked. I do the same thing in summer without the cooking and serve it with yoghurt and fruit salad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...