Thursday, January 15, 2015

thursday recipe: oat 'n' nut slice

I'm not sure what it is, the rainy weather or that there are basically only two weeks until school goes back but I was in the mood to bake something muesli bar like.

Working with what I had in the pantry this is my satisfying oaty nutty creation. I had to photograph it quickly because the taste testers were hovering, I'm glad I snapped it when I did because it didn't last long.

If you live in a warm climate this is definitely best stored in the fridge so that the coconut oil stays solid otherwise the slice becomes crumbly, delicious whatever shape its in but if you want it to hold together keep it cool. It isn't a particularly sturdy slice, probably best enjoyed at home or taken on a picnic but I don't think it would survive the rough and tumble of going to school in a lunchbox.

While we're on the topic of lunchboxes if you are looking for nut free options for going back to school Sonia has just put together a great post with 20 nut free lunchbox friendly recipes. She is organised that Natural New Age Mum! (A little too organised, I don't want to think about kids going back to school yet Sonia! but thanks for getting us on track :)

Enjoy the recipe but most importantly soak up these last couple of holiday weeks with your little folk
(& teenage folk too!)

Oat 'n' nut slice

Ingredients

1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup LSA (ground linseed, sunflower seed and almond sold in supermarkets and health food stores)
1/2 cup pepitas
1/2 cup almond meal
3 tbsp maple syrup
1.5 tsp aluminium free baking powder
150ml coconut oil melted

To make

Preheat oven to 170 degrees C
Line baking tray with baking paper (mine is approx 20cm x 25cm)
In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients
Press mixture into baking tray
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden
Would be delicious served with berries and yoghurt

**NOTE: wait until slice is completely cool before cutting or it will crumble**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...