Tuesday, September 11, 2012

up up and away


While the house was quiet, everyone sleeping, I sewed into the night. And worked to a deadline piecing a story together. And packed and tidied. Because that is what we mamas do - get the job done. Whatever it takes: late nights, dawn awakenings, laughter, tears all through the seasons and on it goes.
This night I was sewing 'showbags' for River and Sol to have on our flight to Coolangatta. Simple calico bags with a zip on top. One of my favorite childhood memories is of showbags sewn and filled by my nana for my brother and I when we would fly with our mum from Melbourne to Adelaide to visit my mum's brother. Inside the bags would be all manner of drawing and colouring materials and there definitely would have been lollies! No lollies inside these ones for River and Sol but a Spiderman colouring book has snuck in along with puzzles and for River a dot to dot book and Sol a Playschool colouring book. Since the photos were taken stickers and stamps have been added to the bag along with a bag each of organic popcorn and a fruit bar.
A two hour flight spent drawing, reading and doing puzzles with a few questions 'when will be there mum?' 'how much longer?' to be expected.

I have bee pop honey lollipops for them to suck as we land and a tin of rescue remedy pastilles for all!

What do your children like to do on planes, trains and automobiles?

spring into spring: how is the spring cleaning coming along? still in the mood? I've been thinking about spring cleaning of the emotional kind, spring cleaning of the heart and mind if you like. Sending a card or making a phone call to friends and family I haven't contacted in a while, bringing my attention  to everything I am grateful for and when thoughts of self doubt arise to send them on their merry way. Take a moment today just for you and clear your heart and mind of all that you are holding that is holding you back or bringing you down. Step into spring with a happy heart and a clear mind xx Gently now.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I haven't stopped by in a while whenever I come by I always feel a sense of peace. I love your idea of a showbag for each of your boys, I have never heard of that term being used before and I like the sound of your snacks as well as the bee pop, such thoughtful and healthy things for your boys they are very lucky to have you as their Mum. We pack similar things for the girls when we go away too also as the big girl has an ipod shuffle she will often listen to talking books too. I will have a think about that Spring cleaning it sounds good for the soul. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thank you Catherine, a sense of peace is very important to me and I glad that it comes across on my blog. I do find that on your blog too, I always enjoy the considered pace and tone of your words and pictures. Thanks for visiting x

      Delete
  2. that is so beautiful, we must have been up at the same time, i didn't go to bed til 2.30am, blogging about and doing other stuff i don't get to do during the day. i have been spring cleaning my wardrobe, so much fun. happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay. We are here in Byron Bay and so happy to be. I have just been reading your blog, yoga and dance class sound wonderful. I'm looking forward to yoga while we are here. Happy springtime to you night owl mama x

      Delete
  3. So sweet. My mum used to the do the same thing when we'd go on big road trips. And I recently did the same when we went away on holidays. I wrapped up books, crayons and treats for the journey in a new backpack. So that together with a plane trip made for a very excitable little girl.

    I like your spring cleaning ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you here Nicole thanks for your comment. Isn't it fun putting the pack together? My youngest boy, Sol fell asleep on the plane today so he is yet to really discover his treasures but River loved discovering his. I am not sure who delights in it more us or them! x

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous mama. Have a fab trip. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anthea I'll do my best :) is your boy home? Look forward to seeing you when we are back xx

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...