Monday, March 19, 2012

mullumbimby farmer's market

One of the many reasons I love the Northern Rivers Shire is because each week there are 4 farmer's markets, I said 4! all held within 20-30kms of each other.

Tuesday: New Brighton, 8am-11am, River Street, New Brighton.
Thursday: Byron Bay, 7am-11am, Butler Street Reserve, Byron Bay.
Friday: Mullumbimby 7am-11am, Mullumbimby Showgrounds, Main Arm Road, Mullumbimby.
Saturday: Bangalow, 7am-11am, Behind Bangalow Hotel, Bangalow.

Each one has its own personality and I wake up on market mornings excited to set off with River and Sol who love the markets (read love eating market food) as much as I do. On this most recent trip I am regretting not getting to the Byron farmer's market for some of Faith's fabulous panforte (I posted about that last Christmas).

Mullum on Friday was the market the boys and I and Uncle Dave made it to (sadly without Ruth and the twins as they had a cold. Boo hoo, their first cold at 5 months). The weather was exquisite as was the produce. These markets happen rain or shine, so if you are visiting and the rain is falling get along  anyway.

First stop for River was to have a sugar cane juice mixed with ginger, it is cool, sweet and spicy. He followed that up with a pure mango ice block where there were also some magnificent pink dragon fruit.


Dave and I were ready for coffee from Nashua coffee and then I headed to one of my favorite bakers, Heart Breads.

Their wood fired corn bread is one I always buy, it is dense and slightly sweet. River and Sol are fans of their chocolate brioche and on this day I couldn't resist a cinnamon and macca sweetie which is essentially a scroll of brioche filled with a decent smudging of cinnamon and macca. Here are some of their fine goods:


A slice of corn bread toasted and topped with a wedge of Barambah Organics cheddar cheese (not sold at the market), a good pinch of Ruth's alfalfa sprouts, (which are sold at the market along with sprouted lentils, mung beans, fenugreek, blue peas, soaked almonds to name a few) plus baby spinach leaves was our post farmer's market lunch.


Ruth's sprouts


Lunch!

Once home the boys ate filled the tiny space left in their tummies with juicy blueberries from Blueberry Fields farm:



One of the rare non-food items sold at the market are Happy Flame beeswax handmade candles. Available in an array of colours, shapes and sizes I only wish there was the technology to send the sweet honey smell to you along with this picture. 



my market friends, Sol, Dave and River.

The farmer's markets alone are reason enough for me to want to move to the Northern Rivers Shire let alone the beaches, the climate, the community...Have you been? What do you love about the Northern New South Wales coast?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...