Wednesday, January 18, 2012

skin food


Over 2011 my husband Pete gathered a collection in our back garden of pots with aloe vera plants in them. They’re not in the garden for their good looks (though I do like the look of them); their purpose is skincare.

Long summer days in the sun feel good for the soul but sun-kissed skin can suffer. I remember as a child my mother smearing aloe vera gel onto my sunburnt skin at least once each summer. Now I’m all grown up and sun smarter, sunburn isn’t the issue but moisturising is a priority as I approach the grand decade of my forties(!). I was very happy using the exquisite rose skincare range by Weleda until Pete converted me to using the aloe vera (it took him a year).

Pete recently visited a local couple he heard had a great crop of aloe vera. This is what he came home with.


He also came home with new knowledge on how to use the plant. Instead of breaking off a piece of stem opening it, using the gel and discarding the piece, the grower suggested breaking off a long stem of the plant and vitamising it to create a green gloopy looking gel that you can store in the fridge and use as you would a moisturiser.

Aloe vera is a member of the succulent plant family and is hardy and easy to grow. The healing properties of aloe have been known for centuries. It contains vitamin C, vitamin E and zinc all nutrients that are nourishing to skin. It can be used for sunburn, minor burns and cuts or as an everyday moisturiser.

If you want to give it a go you can pick up a plant at your local nursery. Making the switch from commercial moisturiser, even the organic or natural ones, to your own supply of aloe vera saves you money, reduces packaging going into the environment and you'll have happy hydrated skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...